Monday, April 9, 2012

A cupcake kind of weekend!


This past weekend I baked a little over 5 dozen cupcakes.  Yes, you read that right FIVE DOZEN!  I had a lot of celebrations to attend and many people like my cupcakes, even though right now I still use Betty Crocker cake mix.  My best friends little boy turned 1 this weekend and they asked if I could make just basic vanilla cupcakes with different color swirl icing on top.  These ones were super easy and done very quickly.  He seemed to enjoy it!










Then I made some Jack Skeleton cupcakes for my neighbour's 17th birthday.  She is girly, but is LOVES skulls and crossbones, and The Nightmare Before Christmas, so I figured these cupcakes would be fitting for her.  It was my first time using fondant as the base, so I just bought rolled white fondant from Michael's (using my 50% off coupon!).  I will try making it another time.  ONE new process at a time is my limit. The fondant was a lot easier to use than I anticipated, but I do need a proper rolling pin that is slightly larger than what I have so it does not leave lines in it.  I had purchased a package of circle cookie cutters to make a perfect circle, but of course with my luck, they were all a little too small so I had to rummage around the cupboards to find something that would work.  Thank goodness one of my glasses was the perfect size, and worked perfectly.  Drawing on the face was a little harder than I would have liked.  For the mouth I used the smallest icing tip that I have, and they turned out awesome.  None alike, but my hand was THROBBING at the end of just that part, so I needed a little break.  The eyes were tricky to make look even, but I was able to make them look good. I am SUPER happy with the final product, and so was the birthday girl!  She was super happy and super surprised!  Even if it took her till the next day to eat one!

The LAST batch of cupcakes was a last minute thing with my awesome neighbour Cathy.  She mentioned she was supposed to make some type of a desert for an Easter dinner she was going to, so I showed her the picture on Pinterest(another obsession of mine).  She was up for the challenge so after I put Xander to bed I went over to her house and we started baking.  This one was super easy, seeing as I REALLY did not want to be baking for another 4 hours!


Now I am off to bake a cake and make 2 batches of icing for class tomorrow! SO excited to learn more!!

No comments:

Post a Comment