Wednesday, March 2, 2011

The Diaper Decision

The decision between using disposable or cloth diapers is a personal choice that depends on different factors, financial, environmental, convenience, and what you feel is better for you and you baby. We decided to do cloth diapers after my neighbour did them and raved about them. They seemed pretty easy to deal with, I mean what's an extra load of laundry when you are washing baby cloths all the time anyways?! Once you decide to use cloth diapers and wash them yourself, the next step is to decide what cloth diapers are best for you, prefold, pockets, sized, all in one, it can be very overwhelming. For financial reasons, we decided to start with some prefold and covers, and the BumGenius Flip diaper system, as they were the least expensive, and then go from there. I used the prefold system for about a week and decided it was not for me. I found the too bulky and I just didn't like them. I like the Flip system, but I do find that they tend to leak sometimes. A friend suggested I go on Ebay to purchase some baby legs from China, and while looking at those I found the company that carried them also carried cloth diapers. I ended up buying 1 one size pocket diaper to try. It was only $8.00 and had free shipping so I figure if it was crappy then it was only a waste of 8 bucks. It took 3 weeks to get them, but really it was free shipping so I can't complain. When I got it it was ADORABLE!! It was way softer than I thought it would be. I washed it with that nights diaper load and tried it the next day, and I LOVE IT!
As you can see it looks a little big, but that is because my little man is still small and it is a diaper that will grow with him. I love it so much that I have ordered another 2, a camo print and a giraffe print, looking forward to getting them in the mail!

Cloth diapers can become a bit of an addiction. I have heard that from many parents who use cloth. I find myself going into diaper stores looking and wanting, even though I thought I had enough. I then came across the website http://www.cozykids.com/ and they were having a sale 6 one size pocket diapers for $45.00 plus shipping, so I decided to give them a try. Again for that price how could I go wrong? I am SO glad that I did because when I got them in the mail I was surprised to find a blue leopard print diaper included in the 6 that I was not expecting.
The solid colour diapers are different than others because the material is slightly stretchy, which is a feature that I love. I did have one diaper where the PUL separated from the fabric, but I emailed CozyKids and was sent a replacement diaper right away. If they have another sale at that price, I might just have to bu some more!

No comments:

Post a Comment