Saturday, August 16, 2014

Engagement Cake - Marsh mellow fondant




I have been dying for a reason to make another fondant cake, so when a friend asked me if I would be willing to make a cake for a mutual friends engagement, I jumped at the chance!  She gave me free creative control of what it would look like, taking into account their wedding colours, and this is what I came up with.  It is based on a design that I saw on Pinterest, that I cannot for the life of me find now, so as much as I would love to add the link to that persons cake as well, I can't, so I apologize.  It is a 2 tier, 2 layer/tier, chocolate and vanilla cake, covered with home made marsh mellow fondant.



Making the fondant is easy, but this time I decided to try to make in it my mixer instead of kneading it, cause it really is tiring. It worked amazingly!  Just make sure you grease EVERYTHING up with crisco, otherwise it will stick like glue.  Once taken out of the mixer, you add the colour that you want, and kneed it until fully mixed. 

I started by covering the base plate, so that it was a little prettier that the basic silver plates you get at the store, and used a couple of different heart shaped cookie cutters to embellish it. Then I started on the cake.  I learned a valuable lesson with this cake, make a batch of fondant PER TIER! Do not try to make one batch cover the entire cake.  I tried it and the stress just about killed me.  The fondant was way too thin on the top layer, which is why you can see a few bumps. Had it not been for my AMAZING husband, I would have ended up in tears...he fixed my mess as well as he could.  He also is the one who cut out the silhouettes, so I could never do this without him!  I covered the top layer with blue hearts, and cut out the letters for the base plate, and VOILA!  Not as easy peasy as I thought it would be, but now I know!!

The Happy couple! xoxoxo




No comments:

Post a Comment