Sunday, August 19, 2012

Seat belt pillow - craft of the month

I am sure I am not alone, I hate when I look in the rear view mirror and see my little guys head crooked over so far that it looks really uncomfortable. So I decided to do something about it. I found a pinterest pin about making seat belt pillows to avoid this exact problem, but there was no pattern, so I set about trying to figure out how to make one. Now it had been YEARS since I have used a sewing machine, but my mom got me one at an auction(I think she was hinting at me to do my own mending and hemming). I am pretty happy with the way it turned out. There are a few tweaks that need to be made, but for my first sewing project I am super happy!

I started with a just a rectangular shape for the inner pillow. I decided on 6 inch width by a 22 inch length, I figured that would be long enough. I sew that together and stuffed it with cut up foam stuffing, and I hand stitch the opening at the top with a slip stitch to hide the fact that it was hand sewn.

Next was to tackle the cover. It took me a while to figure out exactly how I wanted it to look. I made a larger rectangle 6.5 inches by 23 inches. I added Velcro to the opening at the bottom so that I could easily remove the pillow for washing. I added 2 tabs with Velcro on one end to attached to the belt on his car seat. The are 3 inches by 5 inches. Then I sewed it up and stuffed it with the pillow!

The first time we were able to use it was on the way home from the Papanack Zoo and it worked like a charm! Looking forward to be able to use it on our trip to Toronto next week!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing, nice post! Post really provice useful information!

    An Thái Sơn chia sẻ trẻ sơ sinh nằm nôi điện có tốt không hay võng điện có tốt không và giải đáp cục điện đưa võng giá bao nhiêu cũng như mua máy đưa võng ở tphcm địa chỉ ở đâu uy tín.

    ReplyDelete